I thought I’d give some details on Sawyer’s cleft lip surgery, in case you are interested. In the days leading up to the surgery and that morning, I was worried and a bit anxious about it. Not only that Sawyer would have to be put through pain, but that we would lose a part of him. His cleft lip was part of what made him Sawyer, and he would come out of the surgery looking different. He wouldn’t look the same Sawyer that we had fell in love with. I was surprised by all those feelings that I suddenly had. Our pastor reminded me the morning of the surgery that he will still have his same fun-loving, resilient spirit and the surgery wouldn’t take that away. I realize that it’s a very necessary surgery and obviously it is hugely beneficial for him, but there are still feelings of loss for me. It probably doesn’t make much sense unless you’ve gone through something similar.

We woke up very early and arrived at Hershey Medical Center Wednesday morning. Since Sawyer couldn’t have anything to eat since the day before, it was a little bit difficult to get his mind distracted and off food, but he did really well getting ready for the surgery.

The nurses got a kick out of him. He is so funny and likes to order them around.

The surgery took about four and a half hours. We were told it would take two hours, so it was a little bit stressful not knowing why it was taking so long.

Immediately after the surgery, we talked to the surgeon and he is said everything went perfectly. It took longer because there was scar tissue to deal with from Sawyer’s previous surgery, and the surgeon was very careful to take his time and do the best job that he could. Sawyer also got ear tubes put in right after his lip surgery.

We were able to see him right away in the recovery room. And just like when we visited the orphanage, he reached for me and I was able to comfort him. It was so special We were in recovery for about an hour and were able to come home later that afternoon.

The surgeon did an AMAZING job on his mouth. It was remarkable to see how carefully his mouth was repaired.Sawyer9

When we got home all he wanted to do was run around and play with his toys, even though he was extremely tired. He is a very determined and upbeat little boy. I was completely amazed at how well he did.

The next photos were taken yesterday. Every day since the surgery, his mouth has gotten more swollen and bruised, which is normal. It will take a while for the swelling to go down. Smiling is difficult, but he tries!
Sawyer4 Sawyer1 Sawyer3Except for a few moments of pain, especially when he first wakes up, he has done remarkably well. He is playing just like he normally did. He’s on a soft food diet, but just like before the surgery, he constantly wants to eat.

Our little boy is so resilient and full of life, and I am so thankful for the medical care available to us. As I am writing, he is running around the house laughing with his brother and sister. There are no words to express my gratitude that Sawyer is a part of our lives. He is awesome.

June 19, 2015 — Aimee Weaver