March 07, 2010
Tomato Soup with Pancetta
• 1 tablespoon olive oil
• 3 ounces pancetta, chopped (I substitute bacon – oh, yeah!)
• 1 small onion, chopped
• 3 (3/4-inch-thick) slices rustic rye bread (each about 5 3/4 by 3 3/4 inches), cubed
• 6 cups canned low-salt chicken broth
• 1 (28-ounce) can diced tomatoes with juices
• 1/4 cup coarsely chopped fresh basil leaves
• 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
• 1/4 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper flakes
• Salt and freshly ground black pepper
• 1/4 cup mascarpone cheese (I substitute cream cheese)
• 1/4 cup sour cream
Heat the oil in a heavy large pot over medium heat. Add the pancetta and saute until crisp and golden, about 5 minutes. Add the onion and saute until tender, about 3 minutes. Add the bread and toss to coat with the pan drippings. Saute until the bread is crisp and golden, about 5 minutes. Add the broth, tomatoes, basil, oregano, and crushed red pepper. Bring the soup to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium-low. Cover and simmer until the flavors blend, about 10 minutes. Season soup with salt and pepper.
Stir the mascarpone and sour cream in a small bowl to blend. Ladle the soup into bowls. Spoon a dollop of the mascarpone mixture atop the soup and serve.
Are you watching the Oscars? This is the first time ever that I’m actually watching most of it.
It’s amazing the dumb questions that interviewers ask the actors. I mean really! “What’s your favorite part of the Oscars?” Get a little more creative, people!
The Christmas season is quickly approaching, and we have some new signs available to decorate your home, including so...
Lately I have been struggling with organizing all of my kids' many craft supplies. Anyone else have this issue? I use...
I participated in a wedding photo shoot at a local orchard, and it turned out so beautifully! I thought I'd share som...
Sign up to get the latest on sales, new releases and more …